Known Cold is proud to present Myles Away and an exclusive Dubstep/Electro mix.

on 2:37 AM







“Myles Away is a musician/producer/DJ living and creating in Vancouver, BC. After years of writing music on his guitar and piano, electronic music with womping-bass lines and heavy beats took the forefront. Its hard to define genre for both his productions and live sets as they span them all: glitch hop to breaks to dubstep.”

I approached Myles after coming across his blog and listening to his mix “This is what I do” a combination of electro and dubstep, and was blown away! Myles away! I was expecting a 60 min mix, instead Known Cold received more then two hours of electro/dubstep goodness. I can just imagine a Myles Away party as insane fun. I’m sure everyone is going to love this mix. 




Myles describes his name as “a character, a different side of me, that allows me to be someone else. The character allows me to be insanely wild on stage and write all different styles of music.” I would add that it seams to be a way of life. Weather he is producing beats like his single “Get Your Gun”, creating digital art or putting mixes together. Everything Myles does is above and beyond expectations. He has been writing music since he was ten. But he has only been producing and DJing beats for a year! And what a year it has been.

“In the summer of 2008 I was blown away by the Vancouver music scene. I started going to these parties and shows soaking up all the bass I could. I began to make friends with all the producers and DJs in town, with no idea that I would start doing it myself. Then NOG (of the Integrated Grime Unit) moved into my apartment and we started to produce tracks together. We started with a dubstep remix and then moved onto Gltich-Hop as NOG has always been heavily influenced by Hip-hop.”

“I started producing tracks and then in November of 2008 I got my first show.....a friends house party. Though it was small, I was super excited (and I still get excited about every show I play, I LOVE to perform!). My break came in the next months when I started performing at this after-hours-party-place called "Benzouse". It was a loft that fit about 130 people. It was the perfect place to start, because it had all the major heads in town showing up from parties still looking to dance. It really helped get the initial word out in here in Vancouver.”



“Then in May, after my set at a festival in Golden, BC, I was asked to be apart of the INTEGRATED GRIME UNIT, which members include Glitchy and Scratchy (who just played the Village @ Shambhala 2009), Ill-Esha (DnB, Glitch-Hop, Dubstep queen!!!) , and Jay Wikid (who has produced tracks with Bassnectar).....and thats only a few of the extremely talented producers and DJs the IGU holds.”




“Summer 2009 turned out to be the best of my entire life. Festivals, shows every week and two Western Canadian tours! I was booked by Perception Inc. to play the main stage @ Uprising, which was headlined by Tipper and Vibesquad. Two of my productions were also played at this years Shambhala! My remix of "the Wretched" by NIN, was played by Glitchy and Scratchy @ the Village and a song that I produced with Glitchy and Scratchy  called "Tokyo Tonight" was played by SUBVERT @ the Village on Sunday night. And just the other week Mat the Alien asked me for some of my tracks, so I hope to hear or see those in a set-list of his soon.”


“The start of Fall has shown no signs of slowing. I have begun to throw a monthly event at the Astoria called "Bass Culture" which showcases all things BASS: Dubstep, Electro, Glitch-Hop, and DnB!! I have two residencies at clubs in town and the bookings are rolling in like mad. I am already booked for 6 events in October and possibly 7 events in November. I am so excited about all of this. Life has never been better. 2009 has been the greatest year of my life and I can't wait to see what happens in 2010.”




At Known Cold we believe that dubstep should never follow a formula, so I was more then pleased when I asked Myles why he loves dubstep.

“I love bass. LOVE IT. And when the drop happens in Dubstep and Electro I get the greatest rush. Something about a track at 125 - 146 bpm just feels so good.  Electro has got the hype energy that just makes a dance floor go from zero to hundred instantly. And when that full time beat all of the sudden changes into a half time dubstep beat, there is nothing better. Dubstep is the music I have been waiting for. When I first heard it my jaw dropped. The tone of the bass, the thick beat and that wonderful wobble got me right away. And for some reason these two genres compliment each other so well. I love it. But I will never be afraid to spin other genres. Especially as new ones evolve and come about. If its good, I will drop it and right now Electro/Dubstep are good, REALLY GOOD.”


Myles claims influences from artists 16 Bit, Bar 9, and Datsik or Electro producers like AC Slater and Jack Beats. “But these days I am just trying to soak up every experience around me and truly live life. Be in the moment and not wish my life away for some possibility in the future. You know life is good when you don't want to sleep, because your dreams can't compare with reality.”




Can you tell me what got you started in music, do you play any instruments?

“My mother is why I started playing music. When I was 8 years old I was sent to piano lessons and had to perform at recitals. Then I started to play the guitar and started a band in California called "Good Times". Its how I spent most of my time. Writing music and jamming for hours, upon hours is how I spent most of my teen years. I realized music and audio were my passion. So I dropped out of college, applied for the for a Recording Engineer School in Vancouver and moved up the coast.”

What’s in your studio?

”My studio is a pretty basic set up. I have an Oxygen-8 Midi controller, a couple guitars (1958 Gibson Acoustic and a 1962 Gibson Les Paul), a Pignose amp for those classic tones, a hammond organ and a Mackie 16 Channel mixer all running into my Macbook.”

What is your outlook for the future of dubstep?

“Dubstep is getting big and its only going to get bigger. People are already getting jaded and saying its dead. But its just started. We are just starting to see the evolution of the sub-genres of dubstep.” “Its way too good to ever go away.”  

Tell me about the best party you have played at.

“Its a toss up between Uprising (Pemberton, BC) and One Fest (Kaslo, BC). Both were unbelievable. At Uprising I was booked to play the main stage the same night as Tipper. Then saturday night at around 3:30 am I played a set at a renegade stage put together by the Moo Crew (Vancouver). They converted a big moving truck into a bar and DJ booth. It was unreal. I set my rig up on the stairs leading up into the truck: Vestax controller on the top step, laptop on the next step down and my Kaoss-Pad on the back hatch. The crowd surrounded the back of the truck and we rocked out till the sun started to peak over the mountains. It was so fun.
Then One Fest was so amazing. The stage set-up was like a 1/3 scale of the Village @ Shambhala. Deep in the woods with multi-tiered dance floors surrounding a large dirt dance floor, a DJ booth about 12 feet in the trees, amazing sound and lighting by Application (also a member of the IGU) and a wonderful crowd of 400+ happy people. It  was one of the greatest experiences ever. The whole trip there and back was unreal. Like I said, its been a great summer. I am getting all nostalgic right now as I say this.”

Is there any advise you can give to new producers and DJ’s?

”Don't be afraid of the digital world. Its here and its now. Don't live in the past and deny what is right in front of you and at your finger tips. This goes for producing and DJ-ing. I currently use a Vestax 100 Midi controller and my macbook to spin all my shows. I am a digital kid in a digital world and I won't fight it. I embrace it and use it how ever I can.”

Do you have any upcoming events you are looking forward too?

”I have a lot on my plate in terms of small shows around town. But there is the possibility I will be playing with Vibesquad in November and then DZ in November/Early December here in Vancouver. Also I am in talks to be brought out to Montreal this December or January to play Electro & Dubstep. I look forward to all of that”




Where can people find you performing when your not traveling?

”I have three DJ residencies in Vancouver. Once a month I play Wednesdays "What Evers Dope" hosted by Emotionz at Shine, "Bass Culture" @ the Astoria (every second Wednesday of the month) and every other Friday at Mint Nightclub (rotating weekly with Jay Wikid).”

What should people know?

”Do what you do and love it. Enjoy it all. Soak it all up. Learn everything you can, because you'll never know enough. Enjoy the moment, but also remember to take a step back and observe it. Realize how lucky you are to be alive. There is a saying going around the Vancouver scene right now "It only gets better"....and whether your situation is good or bad, its true.”


Thank you Myles for the massive mix and the great interview! We now know we can expect big things from you. Keep Myles locked on you radar, because like he says, and I fully anticipate, It's only going to get better from here. 


Check out more of Myles Away.


You can support Myles by getting some of his art and clothing.
http://www.redbubble.com/people/mylesaway


0 comments:

Post a Comment